Big Sky Publishing is currently accepting fully complete manuscripts that are a good fit with our requirements and meet our Submission Guidelines. We are ONLY accepting Non Fiction titles, please do not submit children’s or fiction titles as these will not be reviewed.
We publish non-fiction adult titles and are currently welcoming manuscripts in the following genres: history, military history, true crime only.
It is critical that you follow our Submission Guidelines and indicate your market and key differentiators. Unfortunately we cannot consider submissions that do not meet these guidelines.
We can only accept emailed submissions.
All submissions must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title and genre clearly marked in the subject line.
We require the following to be emailed to us:
- Short synopsis of the manuscript – no more than 1 page;
- First 4 chapters (double line spaced) for adult books (the complete manuscript is also acceptable);
- The complete manuscript for children’s books;
- An overview (2 – 4 pages) including: why someone would want to read your book; the target audience; review of any similar books published and why your book is different; key selling points; an author bio and past writing experience and any relevant networks and contacts you might have to help promote the book.
- Manuscripts that have been professionally edited and/or have had a manuscript assessment are looked at favourably.
Due to the large volume of submissions we receive each week, across our lists, unfortunately we are unable to respond to everyone. We can only respond individually to people where we feel we can progress their submission to the next stage. If you have not received a request for further information within 4 months please assume we are not in a position to proceed. Please resist the temptation to call us, while we’d love to be able to respond to each and every one of you, there are simply not enough hours in the day!
However, please be assured that all submissions will be carefully considered and reviewed and we are truly appreciative of the time and effort taken to submit them. Unfortunately, we often have to pass on some excellent submissions so please continue to pursue relevant opportunities for publication. Good luck!
It is important that you ensure that your manuscript is as close to perfect as it can be before sending it to us. Participate in writing groups, go on writing courses and workshops, show it to people whose opinion you trust, find a mentor, and consider getting it professionally assessed by a manuscript appraisal service or professional editor.
Generally, we are not able to provide you feedback if we decide your submission is not suitable for our list. If you would like a constructive report on your manuscript, it could be useful to have a professional manuscript assessment completed. There are a number of Manuscript Assessment Services available – you can check out our resource section for ideas.
If we do decide to take on your manuscript, we will make you an offer for publication. If you accept the offer, we will proceed with the production, design, marketing, publicity and distribution of your book. You will be assigned a Project Manager who will work with you throughout the publishing process.
If you would like further information about writing and getting published here are some useful resources:
- Australian Society of Authors www.asauthors.org
- Australian Publishers Association www.publishers.asn.au
- The Australian Writer’s Marketplace which has a comprehensive list of Australian publishers, journals, agents and writing prizes etc. www.qwc.asn.au